So, those of you that have followed this blog from the beginning may have noticed that I like to experiment with the way I eat. I went the vegetarian route for 6 months, I gave up coffee for a month, I tried to give up alcohol for a while, and I talked about the importance of giving up sugar. So now what am I up to....?! Well, here's just a brief overview. (I might go into more detail in later posts, )
I've recently been working on changing things up a little bit and it includes a little bit of the following...primal, paleo, ketosis, and intermittent fasting. Let me breakdown each of these terms and kind of share how I'm using each. (Keep in mind I'm not following any of these to their exact technical definition.)
The Primal Blueprint is a program created by Mark Sisson that is closely related to the paleo diet.
The basics of the Primal Blueprint are these 10 "laws":
- Eat Plants and Animals - Eat natural, satisfying foods
- Avoid Poisonous Things - aka processed foods (trans and partially hydrogenated oils, sugars, and grains.
- Move Frequently at a Slow Pace - enhance fat metabolism and avoid burnout
- Lift Heavy Things - Brief, intense sessions of functional full-body movements
- Sprint Once in a While - optimal gene expression and beneficial hormone flow
- Get Adequate Sleep - align circadian rhythm with sun for optimal immune, brain, and endocrine function
- Play - balance stress, physical fun; brief breaks or hours can increase mental and physical well-being
- Get Adequate Sunlight - GO OUTSIDE, help synthesize vitamin D for healthy cell function
- Avoid Stupid Mistakes - risk management
- Use Your Brain - engage in creative and stimulating activities to nurture mental and over all health
For now, I'm really concentrating on the eating side of this program and focusing on low-carb and replacing those carbs in my diet with fats. Basically, lots of avocados...haha.
So far, what I've read about this whole lifestyle is quite intriguing and seems like a good way to do life.
I'm working on reading the book now, I definitely recommend it for anyone interested in healthy lifestyles. Get it through Amazon below.